HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

PREPARING FOR SEPTEMBER 5 MEETING WITH PAUL HORNUNG

Friday, September 4, I will be heading south and east on Highway 94 with this Helmet Hut helmet in hand. I will be staying overnight with my younger brother Anson to be in position to attend an autograph session on saturday, September 5, in Waukesha, Wisconsin, at Waukesha Sportscards.

My goal? to add the autograph of the Green Bay Packers 1960's great "Golden Boy", Paul Hornung to my vast collection of one autograph - Bart Starr.
I am looking forward to meeting Mr. Hornung as he and I were in the military together for the "Berlin Crisis". Well, I'd better clarify that. He was at Fort Riley, Kansas, and I was at Fort Lewis, Washington, serving with the 128th Infantry of the 32nd Division along with a couple of other Packer starters you might remember if you are over 60 - Ray Nitschke and Boyd Dowler.
So that will be my "ice breaker" when it is my turn in line, helmet in hand.

I just received the helmet pictured in today's blog from my friends at Helmet Hut down in Warsaw, Indiana, where they manufacture exact replicas of the 1960's Riddell suspension helmets of the time.

You may notice that the helmet is not sporting the familiar "G" on the side. Did you know that Paul Hornung's first season with the Packers was a year before the arrival of Saint Vincent? Back then, there was no "G". The "G" was Vince's idea the next season.

Right now I am still in the process of finding the correct "G" to put on the helmet. The original was much more football shaped than the current decal and was put on in layers to achieve the final product.

1 comment:

flcnhgtspckr said...

that helmet is gorgeous.