HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fishing In Fox Lake - Wish I Were There

Here is a photo of the lovely Marge Johnson, back from a final year of teaching in Shanghai, China, and spending the summer at the cottage on West Fox Lake north of Brainerd, Minnesota. My congratulations to both Bob and Marge on their retirement. I am hoping that we will be seeing them more often now that they are back in the states.

Robert and Marge caught these two beauties on the third and fourth casts they made! I had asked about how the fishing was going up there last week and Tiit Raid (who just got back) said that things had been slow. Guess they picked up!

I have wanted to make the trip up there but the financial situation has been such that I am staying pretty close to home. Kim and I were to have flown out of Minneapolis this morning for a brothers Heagle reunion on the Oregon coast this next weekend, but Kim's mother's health has taken a turn for the worse and we decided we needed to be here to see what develops as it does.

Kim left again today to be in place for the oncologist's report tomorrow. Please say a little prayer for the Wilsons -- they have been through such hard times this year.

I am working diligently on rehabing my right knee which has been in pretty rough shape since the knee replacement. I am seeing a physical therapist three times a week and doing prrescribed exercises three times daily and so far I have been successful at staying with it. I am seeing some improvement also, but have a long way to go to reach a different place.

___________________________________________________________________

Got an e mail from my pal Gary Spaeth informing me that there will be a B-17 flying fortress landing at the Eau Claire airport this coming friday. For $425 you can go up for a short flight in it. (that's more than my ticket to Oregon cost me!) I don't think I will be doing that, but i will probably gets some pictures of it and post them here.

___________________________________________________________________

Still haven't given up on my "pipe dream" of renting a house boat on the Mississppi this coming October when the leaves are at their most glorious. Have mentioned it to the Johnsons and would like to have them join us. Evenings, we could dock at a river town, and Bob and I could find a little saloon, put a hat on the bar and play for food and gas money. sounds like a plan to me.

________________________________________________________________

Got a nice e mail from Jerry Way inviting Kim and I to attend an all-new show "Pure Water in the Swamp" Wednesday, August 6 or Thursday, August 7 at 7:00 p.m. in the Heyde Center for the Arts auditorium. The stories, original songs, and slides are all about present day Chippewa Falls and a bit of the past. He even has been so nice as to let me know that if Kim and I want to attend he will leave two tickets at will call. At this point, however, I will have to wait and see what the situation is with Kim's mother.

Jerry also mentioned reading about the Durand Rod and Gun Jack Harmon Chicken Dinners. I suggest that the Ways join us for the trip over next time we go. Probably sometime in September.

Well, I am missing Jon Stewart right now -- will hang it up so I can catch the Colbert Report!

-30-

No comments: