HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Catherine's Birthday Party





Saturday, June 23, I was up very early, partly because of the excitement generated by anticipation of the upcoming day's event, and partly because, well, I just don't sleep that well, anyway.

But this Saturday was very special to me as I was embarking on a five hour drive to make pizzas for Catherine Quehl Engel, an ordained Episcopal minister and chaplain for Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, Iowa.

I had met Catherine years ago when her husband Craig, who works in Iowa City, had seen me perform at The Sanctuary in Iowa City, and asked that I come to their house for his birthday and make pizza.

We had a blast! I don't think I have ever entertained a group who had more fun together than the Engels and their friends. I think partly it was because they got baby sitters for all of their collective children, and were able to just kick back, really let loose, and unwind.

I purposely left home early enough that I would be able to have some time visiting with Catherine and Craig. Anybody who knows my brother John would instantly recognize the fact that Catherine exudes the same feelings of love and understanding that John does.

More than once I have told Catherine that I hope someday she and John can sit down over dinner somewhere because they are both such great ministers of the gospel.

And Like John, Catherine was raised in rural Wisconsin, near Monroe, and is fiercely proud of her home state and the Badgers. she was delighted that I brought the cheese with me from Wisconsin for the party.

Including the Quehl Engels, there were fourteen people. I rolled out six large pizzas and I am proud to say that throughout the course of the evening, every one of them disappeared.

I started with the simple pizza you see pictured: fresh tomato, fresh basil, and lots of mozzarella. The second pizza was just mushrooms that I had cooked down with a little olive oil and salt until they had given up most of their juices and became almost shiny black.

As the evening progressed, the pizzas became more complex. I made one with my own home made Italian sausage and jalepeno stuffed green olives, and of course, there was the mandatory pepperoni pizza and then combinations of all ingredients present.

After the food, we retired outdoors where Craig had a crackling fire going, and I perfromed about 40 minutes of my "stuff" including a birthday salute to the lovely Catherine.

The party was still in full swing as I wended my way upstairs to my hot bath and bed. I was totally exhausted!

This morning I shared breakfast with some other friends from the area that I have met over the years in downtown Mt. Vernon, then I pointed the Scion North and got here safely about 5PM.

It was a great party! My thanks to Catherine and Craig and all their very nice friends for making me very comfortable. I had nearly forgotten the charm of Mount Vernon and its lovely people!

Oh, I should mention that the photo of all the paraphanalia is what I call my "traveling pizza kit". Usually I either forget something before I leave (this time it was the flour and the olive oil) or I leave something behind. I haven't checked yet. Let's hope!

No comments: