HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Memorial Day On The Road


It's been a "travel" Memorial Day weekend for yours truly, I was up and on the road last Thursday by 5:30 A.M. to be in Elk Hart Lake to entertain at a WSSA luncheon. (Don't ask me what those initials stand for today as I am too tired to even try to figure it out for myself!) Suffice to say they were social workers.

I didn't feel the show went that well but the number of CD's and "Wood Tick Tee Shirts" sold would indicate otherwise. I guess it was the fact that there were about six people who got up and left during the show that gave me that impression. Ah, we entertainer-types are so delicate!

Then it was on to Milwaukee where I spent the rest of the afternoon catching up on Jude Torgeson's life since last I had seen her some 40 years ago.

After supper with Jude, it took me what seemed forever to get out of down town Milwaukee which, because of a great deal of road construction, looked like a real war zone. At one point I found myself circumnavigating Miller Park (the Brewers were playing a night game) in search of Highway 43 south towards Chicago and my brother Anson's house outside Mukwonago.

By the time I hit the Mukwanago exit, dense fog had set in and I got hopelessly lost on the country roads, at one point stopping for directions in Eagle, Wisconsin, where they actually laughed at me!

Finally found my way to a warm bed at little brother's. Slept most of Friday, which leads me to the picture you see above of "Casa Grande", a great Mexican restaurant founded by two of the Castro brothers that used to run the Mexican restaurant, El Patio, in Eau Claire.

It is located just off Highway 43 in Mequon, and I persuaded Anson, Diana and my niece, Jenny to make the drive way up there for dinner. It was great to see Oscar and Reynaldo and the boys haven't lost their touch with great Mexican cuisine.

Saturday morning I was up quite early again to make my way up to Madison to hook up with my pal Stan Johnson for a late breakfast and then on to Festa Italia in Fitchburg where another musician buddy of mine that I have known absolutely forever, Bill Niederberger, was holding forth with two other great musicians in a trio consisting of my pal Bill on accordion, a rhythym guitarist, and a mandolin player, playing wonderful old Italian tunes.

By the time we left I had had my share of beer and Italian porketta and we returned to Stan's in Windsor where I had to take about an hour nap before I jumped on I-94 for home.

I sometimes worry about staying awake while drving, but not this particular evening! I ran into heavy rainstorms nearly all the way home and terror will keep you awake!

No comments: