HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Friday, February 25, 2011

WILSON 'THE DUKE' A PRIZE POSSESSION

I have been a life long admirer of quality goods made of leather. There are classics, like the World War II A2 aviator's jackets made of both cow hide and horse hide, and the really warm sheep skin B3.

Don't misunderstand - I am not a "leather freak" who engages in bondage and that sort of thing. But I love the smell of good leather and the squeaky sounds a well cared for leather jacket makes when you move.

This year I became interested in the history of the football used exclusively by the National Football League, "The Duke".

Back in the 1960's, when Wilson began adding the imprint of the NFL commissioner's signature, I had an original Duke that bore the signature of the first commissioner, Pete Rozelle. Fool that I am, I let someone have it.

Recently I have become interested in finding the Duke balls that were manufactured before a commissioner's signature was included.

About a month ago, I scored the ball pictured. As you can see, it is in incredibly good shape! This is the exact same ball with which Paul Hornung scored so many points .

__________________________________

No comments: