HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

LARRY WHEELS AND DEALS ON EBAY - OH, YAH!

I was a bit startled to find tahat I haven't blooged snce January 11th, but "time flies when you're having fun!"

Kim left for her Caribbean cruise with "The Getaway Girls on January 11th. I think today she is back at sea cruising after spending time in Panama yesterday. But don't quote me on that - I don't have her schedule in front of me. I have been busy in the meantime trying to solve my FIND THE CORRECT FACE MASK FOR THE JIM CARTER HELMET crusade. This is a story in itself. So let's begin at the beginning.

About six months ago I bumped into Jim Carter, former Green Bay Packer linebacker, now automobile dealership king, coming out of Menard's. I told him of my collecting Packer helmets and how I had gotten Bart Starr's autograph and would be getting Paul Hornung's in the Fall. I then asked him if I could get his autograph and he said: "Sure, although I don't know why you would want it." It seems that through all the years he played for Green Bay, the fans never forgave him for not being Ray Nitschke. (I think I covered this in an earlier blog.) Anyway, I told him that when I landed another yellow helmet I would let him know.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon an autographed 8X10 black and white of Carter in his away uniform and what caught my eye was the unusual face mask he was wearing. I began an intensive search on eBay trying to find that exact face mask so that his autograpahed helmet would be "really authentic". I went online to the "retro-sports" dealers and found two dealers who carried that face mask but at a whopping $199.99!! I also found that mask (see below on the Packer helmet) for sale on eBay several months ago and with only hours left on the bidding it was at $26.40. The seller said it would only fit a medium size helmet. I had found a large LSU yellow helmet. I quickly e mailed the guy to see if it would fit a large. He wrote back and said no - he had tried that, it only would fit a medium!!!
Then, shortly after Kim left for the cruise, I stumbled upon a site that was selling six helmets ALL WITH THAT MASK! I quickly e mailed him to ask about size - did he have a large? He wrote back that he had some with no dots, some with one dot, and a couple with two dots.

I wrote back and asked what the dots meant as that meant nothing to me. After two days he wrote to say he had done some research and talked to "a guy" who explained that no dot meant small, one dot meant medium, and two dots meant large or extra large.

I found out he had a Raiders helmet with a large mask so in order to buy the mask I had to buy the helmet also at a cost of $110 plus $15 shipping. My plan? I would switch the mask I had on the Carter helmet over to the Raiders helmet and put the "correct" mask on the Carter autographed helmet.

As you can see, the Riddell J-GNOP (official nomenclature) fit like a dream! I was a happy boy! Now if I could only sell the Raider helmet. I quickly transferred the mask you see onto the Raider helmet and listed it on eBay. Within four hours, it sold for $99.99 plus $18.00 shipping! So I got the $199,99 mask for $7.01. What a wheeler-dealer am I!

I have spent all of last week getting various and sundry items listed on eBay for sale so zi can pay down some of my massive credit card debt. Tomorrow I have some 23 NFL jerseys going on sale as well as other football related stuff and a 1960's Harmony 12 String guitar that Gordy Bischoff did a fresh neck set for me on for a mere pittance "Buy It Now" price of $250.00.

Wish me luck!

________________________________________________________________

A joke with animals as the characters. (I love animal jokes!)

A koala was sitting in a gum tree smoking a joint

when a little lizard walked past, looked up and said, 'Hey Koala!
What are you doing?'

The koala said, 'Smoking a joint, come up and have some.'


So the little lizard climbed up and sat next to the koala where they enjoyed a joint. After a while the little lizard said that his mouth was 'dry' and that he was going to get a drink from the river.

The little lizard was so stoned that he leaned over too far and fell into the river.
A crocodile saw this and swam over to the little lizard and helped him to the side. Then he asked the little lizard, 'What's the matter with you?'
The little lizard explained to the crocodile that he had been sitting with the koala in the tree, smoking a joint, but got too stoned and fell into the river while taking a drink..

The crocodile said that he had to check this out and walked into the rain forest, found the tree where the koala was sitting finishing a joint. The crocodile looked up and said,


'Hey you!'

So the koala looked down at him and said,

Whoa dude...
How much water did you drink!?'




___________________________________________________________

No comments: