HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Tailpiece Or No Tailpiece?

I had an interesting telephone conversation with a man in Berkeley, California, yesterday. He had several Silvertone 12-strings for sale and I was inquiring about them. I mentioned that I currently was having a Harmony Sovereign 12-string worked on and he said that if I had a Harmony I didn't need or want another guitar because the Harmony is the best out there for vintage.

Interestingly, he told me to get rid of the tailpiece and have my luthier install a 12 pin bridge as it would improve the tone and increase the volume of the guitar.

I called my luthier and he chuckled about the conversation. We decided to leave the tailpiece in place for the time being and decide further after the neck set as it would make a great difference upon completion.

Anybody out there who's gone through the tailpiece/no tailpiece dilemma that could offer their insights? I am leaning towards keeping the tailpiece as I think it does help take the tension off both the top and the neck. I also am going to install a heavier set of strings and tune them down to C or maybe even B.

No comments: